A Retail Pet Sales Ordinance is NOT about putting pet stores out of business or preventing businesses from starting up. It is about promoting a humane and successful business model.
- Stores that sell ONLY pet supplies made $157 MORE per square foot of space than stores that sell live animals (refer to chart above).
- The selling of live animals is an outdated, dying business model. According to Pet Business, in 2019 of the Top 25 Retailers, only 1 sold animals. The others succeeded by offering quality products and services.
- As of November 2019, 24 pet stores in 11 states have successfully converted to the humane model and 20,147 shelter/rescue puppies and dogs were adopted.
The Humane Society of the United States provides extensive support to make this conversion:
- Increased name recognition for the store
- Consumer loyalty, financial support, word-of-mouth outreach and repeat visitors
- Stronger community ties thanks to their partnership with local animal shelters
- A free listing for your store on the HSUS Puppy Friendly Pet Stores web page and in other media
- A free listing through the HSUS phone texting application so shoppers can find them from anywhere
- Free, customized guidance through the entire process
- Answers to their questions about the benefits of providing adoptable animals at their store
- Advice from other store owners who have already converted to a more humane model
- Help finding animal shelters in the area to partner with
- Publicity for the conversion via a grand re-opening
More information from HSUS: www.humanesociety.org/resources/puppy-friendly-pet-stores
Learn about Retail Pet Sales Ordinances.
Still need to work harder to stop the selling of pets.
great information thank you
Wonderful information, sounds like a great plan!