Start your own Puppy Mill Action & Awareness Team
- Form a puppy mill awareness “Harley’s Heroes Team” in your community. Your team could have as few as 2 members, or as many as 20 or more.
- Complete the form below and, once approved, we will add your team to our Harley’s Heroes list and nationwide map. (if you would rather your name is private, that is fine, we have several private Harley’s Heroes teams)
- Once we approve your application, we will be in touch with you and your team can begin to take action. TOGETHER with others around the country and around the world, our voices will be heard loud and clear to effect change!
You may also CLICK HERE to access the form.
Your Harley’s Heroes Team can take action as strongly as you choose. There are many ways you can spread awareness in your community. Here are some ideas:
- Distribute anti-puppy mill flyers/posters around your town (at veterinary offices, pet supply stores, grocery stores, libraries, anyplace with a community bulletin board). Flyers are available to download here.
- Talk to pet shops that sell puppies and ask them to consider offering rescue dogs instead. Information about how to do this is available.
- Set up a booth at a local event (farmers market, street fair, etc) and educate the public about puppy mills. Flyers and banners are available to download here.
- Ask your local pet supply store if your team can set up a table out front to educate people about puppy mills. Flyers and banners are available to download here.
- Request meetings with your local, district and state lawmakers. Educate them about puppy mills. Explain that their help is needed to bring about change.
- Sit in on a town hall or city council meeting and bring up the puppy mill issue. Let your town officials know that you want to establish a puppy mill-free community – encourage them to create a law banning the retail sale of puppies and kittens in pet stores. Provide informational handouts (what is a puppy mill, a list of cities that have bans in place, the difference between a reputable breeder and a puppy mill, etc).
- Your team can write a letter to your local newspaper to explain the issue with puppy mills and to encourage people to help us end them by not supporting them financially, choosing to adopt or rescue a dog instead.
- Connect with local media contacts (television, newspaper and radio) to get some coverage about the issue of mills and why we should not support them. If your team is participating in an event or a pet store protest, you can ask for coverage.
- Organize a (friendly) pet store protest.
All necessary informational handouts, brochures, posters, signs and banners are available for you to download and print – CLICK HERE to access them.
Coaches are available to answer questions and help make your individual Harley’s Heroes campaign a success.
Your town can have as many Harley’s Heroes Teams as you wish. If your teams grows larger than you would like, branch off, the more teams we have, the more impact we make!
Together, we can change the world for puppy mill dogs …
LET’S DO THIS!
“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world.
Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has.” -Margaret Mead