Preemptive Pet Store Ordinances Matter
Why a Preemptive Pet Store Ordinance Matters
- Ensures that the city/county becomes and will ALWAYS remain a humane community.
- Sends a strong message to decision-makers at all levels that constituents will not support the retail sale of commercially-bred pets sourced from mills or unethical backyard breeders.
- Impacts the future puppy/kitten mill economic pipelines; disallowing the future retail sale of commercially bred puppies & kittens from mills.
- Encourages other jurisdictions to choose to become humane and to take similar steps.
- Establishes an ordinance model for other jurisdictions to easily follow.
- Positively supports pet supply stores with a humane business model; stores that sell ONLY pet supplies and offer adoption venues to local rescues or shelters.
- Positively affects the adoption of rescue/shelter animals in a region.
- Eventually helps to reduce the shelter resource needs/costs in a region.
- Eventually drives down shelter euthanasia numbers and expense.
- Provides consumer protection from the tragic and hidden commercial breeding industry.
- Supports responsible and reputable local breeders; those who provide appropriate care for the pets they breed. (Responsible breeders NEVER sell to pet stores.)
- Reaches beyond the jurisdiction, educating residents and others about the puppy and kitten mill / pet store connection.
- Inspires others to get involved in creating humane communities.
- Promotes community awareness about canine welfare issues.
- Positions the community as a champion of animal welfare.