He’s a funny guy! He acts funny, he looks funny and he even talks funny. He’s quiet and submissive, yet sometimes he’s noisy and pushy, he’s sweet, childish, lovable and sometimes grumpy. He makes people laugh. So often we’ve said, “Where on Earth did this silly little dog come from?” “He should have his own comic strip!”
Anyone who has adopted a dog not knowing its history has probably spent a lot of time wondering and speculating – trying to make sense of their dog’s behavior, and trying to guess the history of their new family member.
Fernando has many of the characteristics of a dog that spent its life in a cage, and quite possibly, as a breeder. Perhaps because he was old and couldn’t reproduce anymore he was dumped? Maybe he escaped? Who knows!
This we know about Fernando:
• He was not neutered when rescued
• He likely never received veterinary care
• His mouth was filled with rot, indicative of a dog that drank from a rabbit-type water bottle
• His spine is curved and he appears to have at least one previously ruptured disc
• His dew-claws were removed, probably at birth
• His voice is very odd and we suspect he was previously debarked
• He has a very strong flight response
• He seems to have a high tolerance for pain
• He didn’t understand about being “underfoot” and he clearly was not familiar with living loose in a home
• He’s very comfortable in a crate or cage or small enclosure (he has a playpen at our house)
• He has great fear of being suddenly touched on the face or neck – this may trigger a rage
• He isn’t familiar with belly rubs
• Fernando craves love and attention
Everything on the list is indicative of a dog that came from a puppy mill, a backyard breeder or at least lived in a cage for most his life. Fernando’s past might be a mystery, but there’s one thing we know for sure … he’ll be loved and cared for, for the rest of his life.
We’re tremendously grateful to Muttville Senior Dog Rescue for saving Fernando’s life and giving him a second chance!
More stories about Fernando:
Welcome to our Family, Fernando 8-9-16
Fernando’s Health 8-11-16
How Fernando Came Into Our Lives 8-19-16
Life is Good! 8-21-16
Fernando’s New Friend 8-22-16
Fernando is a Fighter 10-10-16
Every Leaf is a Flower 10-19-16
If you’ve enjoyed this story about Fernando, please be sure to subscribe to our blog. Just enter your email address in the small box in the upper right corner of this page. Thank you!